|Write down your thoughts in response to the following:
Share in pairs
Key issues: motivating factors
- Enthusiastic teacher, good clinician
- A good laugh
- Made to feel welcome; treated with respect
- Learning seen as relevant, pitched at the right level
- Structure evidence of planning and effort
- Being actively involved
- Rewards: being equipped for exams and/or real world of practice; positive feedback
- Expectations, eg having to prepare something
The learning environment
- Establishing a conducive learning environment is crucial
- Donít underestimate the affective dimensions of learning
What are attitudes?
- "A settled opinion, or way of thinking" Concise Oxford Dictionary
- Attitudes are constructs - we can only infer them from a personís behaviour
- They are attributes of personality, but are complex and dynamic
Influences on attitudes include....
- Desire to please
- Political correctness
- Peer group pressure
- Ambivalence, uncertainty
- Lack of self-awareness or insight
- Psychological stressors
The hidden curriculum
In any learning situation there are 3 curricula in action:
- Many studies have looked at attributes of positive role models > consistent findings.
- An important factor in shaping values, beliefs attitudes and ethics.
- Also a strong influence on career choice.
Exploring attitudes when dealing with problems
Use of SOAP system:
- Subjective: what's the feeling
- Objective: what's the evidence